Monday, August 21, 2017

Short Hair, Don't Care

Recently, I found my new hairdresser, Jude, in the most millennial way possible. Instagram. It was truly a serendipitous moment, but a great one at that. I had been mentally battling it out in my mind about whether to grow out my locks or chopping several inches off. After meeting her online by coincidence, it was pretty evident that I was going to go with the latter decision.

Photo Credit: Alex Bell

We initially bonded over short hair and philosophical life thoughts, and eventually covered topics like travel, life experiences, work, learning, and family. As someone who is very protective about my hair, Jude had this confidence and ease to her which made it easy to let her cut and dye my hair. 

Photo Credit: Alex Bell

Before my haircut, my hair was flat and lifeless, stringing along the remains of what was overgrown highlights. After my visit with Jude, my hair was voluminous, bouncy, and uniform again. She and I worked together to fuse our visions into an asymmetrical, slightly textured bob. For a little fun element, Jude added a little bit of a subtle rosy tone on top of my remaining highlights to give my hair a little peak-a-boo of color when the sun indirectly hits it. My favorite part about the cut and dye is that my hair is conservative enough for business functions, but has a bit of personality and flair to it as well.

Photo Credit: Alex Bell

I love the way that short hair makes me feel. I initially chopped off 9 inches of my hair back in 2014 as a way to defy traditional beauty standards, and I'm glad that I did. In that time, I've learned to also love my freckles, my curves, my scars, and my blemishes. Imperfection is beauty, and beauty is imperfection. I've learned that once you embrace your individuality, radiance and beauty both follow suit. 

What are some things about yourself that make you who you are today? Feel free to tweet me or shoot me a message on Instagram @Tran_gerine. If you're interested in checking out Jude's other styles, you can check her out at Salty Blonde Cut Co., or check out her on Instagram here.

Until next time, happy styling!

Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment