Thursday, March 1, 2018

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up

The truth shall set you free.

Lately, I've been reevaluating areas of my life that need improvement. February was definitely a tough month. I was busy, stressed out, and losing a lot of sleep. Mentally and physically, I was at my capacity. Last night, I had my big "ah-ha" moment. I realized that I needed to declutter and simplify my life in order to be a happier person. It was time for yet another life overhaul.


Today, I recalled Marie Kondo's book, The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up. There was one section the book that really stood out, "Selection Criterion: Does it spark joy?" The concept is simple. Take an item and ask yourself, "'Does this spark joy?' If it does, keep it. If not, dispose of it." That's exactly what I did today. I cleaned everything: my personal space, digital space, and mental space. Clean slate. No negative thoughts. Positive thoughts only.

 A special rose gold Kate Spade engraved pendant from my best friend that reads on the back, "One in a million."

Time to start off March on the right foot.

With Europe right around the corner, I couldn't be more excited. Travel helps me to recenter, refocus, and rejuvenate. France and Italy will be so much fun, and I'm looking forward to new cultural experiences. I've been studying up on my French and Italian so it will be fun to use some of my foreign language skills abroad.


Before I go, I just wanted to share one of my favorite French sayings, "J'ai choisi ce que je voulais ĂȘtre et je le suis," which roughly translates to, "I chose what I wanted to be and that is what I am." I am proud of who I am and how far I have come. Life hasn't always been easy, but I've grown so much in the past two years. I've become more confident in my skills and abilities as well as what I want out of life. I feel extremely comfortable in my skin, and that makes me very happy. I believe that the key is to be yourself. With that said, I will see you all after I return from Europe with another travel blog post!

Until next time,

Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment