Wednesday, January 29, 2014

"Hair"spiration

Last night, I ended an easy work day by watching a documentary on Elizabeth Taylor. Seeing clips of her movie roles, show cameos, and candid interviews totally blew me away. She carried herself with such confidence and grace. I was extremely impressed by her ability to remain strong and push forward through life, despite her professional and personal struggles.

Did I also mention she had an amazing sense of style throughout all of this? Because she did.


Which gave me an idea...




What do you think? I'm no Liz Taylor, but it was definitely fun remaking her hair and makeup. If you are interested in recreating her look, here are a few tips:

(Note: I am not a professional makeup artist or cosmetologist. I am just a girl who likes to experiment with hair, clothes, and makeup. These tips come from my personal experience in practice. This is my first time recreating her look based on my own perspective. If you are curious on how I achieved this look, please continue reading down below.)


HAIR:

  1. Start with your hair first to give your curls time to cool and set. This is important!
  2. If you have short hair like me (mine is a little past my shoulder), you want to make sure to use a small curler. You can either so a wet set overnight, hot rollers, or a curling iron. Wet set pin curls will give you a longer lasting curl, but if you don't have time, you can use a curling iron like me. I used a 3/4 inch ceramic Remington wand, and then re-pinned each curl to let them cool. (Tip: If you are planning on using heat on your hair, always use a heat protectant spray prior to curling!)
MAKEUP:
  1. Prime and prep your face as usual, making sure to wash your face before you moisturize, prime, conceal, and apply foundation. 
  2. For your eyes, you can use a liquid liner for your top lid and a pencil liner for your bottom lid. Make sure to follow your bottom lid up when extending your cat eye. To create the illusion of bigger eyes, apply white eyeliner to your bottom lids before applying the black pencil liner underneath, making sure not to line all the way to the inner corner. This will make your eyes appear smaller and closed.
  3. For your eyebrows, make sure to fill them in using either a pencil liner or cream. Follow the arch and growth of your hairline for assistance. You want to keep them thick for a youthful appearance like Elizabeth.
  4. For lips, always make sure to line them BEFORE you apply lipstick! This will keep your lipstick vibrant and long lasting. You can always exaggerate the shape of your lips in this step with lip liner to make them look more rounded like Elizabeth's.
  5. Bronzer is your friend. Use it to your advantage when contouring your face, especially below the apples of your cheeks, the sides of your nose, and below the jaw. This will help to define your features, and give you the illusion of a slimmer, tighter face.
  6. Add highlighter to your T-zone, above the apples of your cheeks, the top of your nose, and cupid's bow to illuminate your face.
  7. Don't forget to add a rosy blush to to add a radiant glow to your face. It adds a youthful and feminine touch.
DRESS:
  1. Pick any kind of dress that makes you feel good. Remember, beauty comes from the inside out!
I hope you will give this look a try, and please tweet me your photos if you do! You can tweet me at @tran_gerine or leave me a comment below. I look forward to hearing from all of you!

Have a great evening! 


Melissa


No comments:

Post a Comment