Monday, March 30, 2015

In Space You Were Wondering.

Hello!

I'm back with another fun DIY project is both fun and easy! Upon catching up on the news this morning, I came across an article on Brit & Co. that was showcasing different hairstyles. Flipping through the different looks, I came across this version of Princess Leia's signature hairstyle. It's a contemporary adaptation of the buns, making it relevant and chic. Gorgeous, isn't it? 

As I kept clicking on the subsequent pages, I quickly realized that there was no article to accompany the hairstyle. Bummer!

(PC: Brit & Co.)

Luckily, I had some time (and patience) to figure it out since I am home today. After much experimentation, I finally came up with my own version. While it is not exact, I thought that it was pretty similar to the picture above.


If you are interested on how I achieved the look, here it is!

MATERIALS:
  • Curling Wand/Curlers.
  • Brush: Rat Tail Comb, Paddle Brush, Teasing Brush.
  • Bobby Pins.
  • Pomade/Gel/Hairspray.
STEPS:

  1. First, I created a middle part using a rat tail comb, and then curled my hair. I used a 1" curling wand, and then used bobby pins to secure each curl. 
  2. Second, I waited for the curls to cool, and then removed the bobby pins. Following this step, I applied a little bit of Gatsby (hair wax) to tame my baby hairs and flyaways. 
  3. Third, I brushed out my hair using a paddle brush and made sure to tease my roots with a teasing brush to add more volume. 
  4. Then, I split my hair into four sections: The two front sections for the buns, and the two back sections for the mini buns. 
    • For the back two sections, I curled them up away the nape of my neck to create mini curls, and pinned them into place. 
    • For the front two sections, I twisted my hair away from my face, and then secured them with elastic hairbands. I left a small strand in front of my face to help frame my face a little bit better. You don't have to do this if you don't want to.
    • Next, I twisted each front section upward into itself to create cinnamon roll shaped buns, and then secured each bun with bobby pins. 
Ta-Da! Here is the end result:

I hope you enjoyed this mini tutorial, and will give it a try! If you have any questions or comments, feel free to leave a comment below, or tweet me via @tran_gerine. You can also check out my day-to-day activities on Instagram via Tran_gerine. Until next time, may the force be with you, and happy styling!

xo

Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment